At Confirmation, you will be asked to state the name by which the bishop will call you. The Church strongly suggests that you use the Christian name you received at Baptism. This tends to show the unity between Baptism and its completion in Confirmation.
However, if you do want to take a new name you should choose the name of a saint whose model of faith you would like to imitate as you become an adult member of the Church. You should learn as much as you can about the saint you choose. Your can choose your Confirmation name in many ways:
- – Research saints who have stories or attributes that interest you, such as miraculous bravery, humility, or care for the poor.
- – Research the patron saint of an occupation, country, or event that interests you such as the patron saint of athletes (St. Sebastian), the patron saint of America (St. Rose of Lima), or the patron saint of writers (St. Francis de Sales).
- – Use a family name that holds significance for you, and research the saint that shares the same name.
- – Choose a saint who you really admire.
Here are some websites you can go to in order to learn more about the saints:
- -Catholic Online-Saints http://www.catholic.org/saints/
- – Catholic Information Network – Catholic Saint Links http://www.cin.org/saintlink.html
Please fill out the form below before November 1st.